Monday, April 18, 2011

Why 'Rita' you ask?

To answer Can's confusion, on my recent trip to visit Chelsea, I took the train and met some wierdies. One wierdie in particular made me a little nervous about putting any of my real info on the internet, I don't want him to find me see...
Short version: I'm all cozy next to a window with all my magazines and journal when this dorky looking, shy boy with glasses politely asks if he can sit by me (the train was almost full...what could I do). I said "oh, of course." Ear phones back in, pen back to writing. After a few minutes he taps on my page and asks "What's that?" Are you fricking kidding me? It's my journal you idiot. I answered with a loud "ha! uh-it's my journal.." He was very appologetic and since I could tell my obvious 'I don't want to chat' cues (headphones, writing, looking the opposite direction, etc..) were of no affect, I caved and let this moron talk my ear off until Hanford. He starts by telling me he's from southern California, he has been doing construction with his uncle for 2 years way up north and is on his way home to see his family for the first time. Goes on and on about how he wants to be a rapper, hes afraid of flying, hence the 12 hour bus/train ride along the state and thinks he might have a kid. About an hour of this and no questions in my direction, mind you, he gets very quiet and tells me how nice I am and that he's been lying to me for the last hour. Says, "I'm going to show you something and if you want me to change seats, I understand.." He pulls an envelope out of his sock and hands me his prison ID with a parole number and his mug shot. WOW! you were in jail!? Oh my gosh I'm so impressed! Oh, you must be in one of those 'gangs' I've heard about! I took if from him and shrugged, with the calmest voice I could muster, to insure I was not surprised or scared or whatever in the hell he thought I was going to be, "Oh, you were in jail?" "Prison, not jail" Like he's something special!! What a baffoon! I gave it back to him and asked why he was there. Serrano Homie goes on with the most anti-climactic stories from here on out. The most interesting part was that he had been shot. Big woop. He robbed some 7-11's. He talked to me like I was born yesterday. Finally my stop came and I couldn't gather my things fast enough, I wasn't scared of him at all, I just was so sick of listening to him!! I was trying to be nice to what I thought was an awkward, lone traveler. I was tricked. Sometimes it's good to be a biotch to strangers, especially men, I usually am, but I was trying to be kind. Wrong answer this time.

I googled his name and found this:
http://www.criminaldefenseduilawyer.com/robbery/three-teens-arrested-in-7-eleven-armed-robberies/

1 comment:

  1. So nuts! Such a crazy story. To all those who are going to be swayed by not using Amtrak to get to San Francisco, please keep in mind, this is an isolated incident.

    To answer Candace's question, the evolution went like this: Sara -> Sarita-> Rita

    ReplyDelete