Saturday, July 9, 2011

effing worms!

Worm story A:

Earlier this week I was making a lovely dinner that I was so excited about; sauteed fennel, onions, farmer's market tomatoes over pearl couscous with fresh cod. I had my delights cooking away, with tweezers I was getting the last little bones from my white fish, when...one of the 'bones' I plucked curled up and twisted around the tweezers...DAH!!!!! Seriously!?!? I put it on the cutting board, hoping it was just some fatty thing that was normal. And edible. Not so I'm afraid, I continued to poke and flick it around, it kept responding and I was getting more pissed and confused, I did not want to admit there was some critter in my fish! On to Google to save the day, there I learned there are actual parasites called Cod Worms, they described exactly what I had and I stormed into where James was and announced my disgust and disappointment, he was very supportive of taking it to get our money back. I wrapped up the fish, put the worm in a baggie (just in case they didn't believe me) and fished (ha) my receipt out of my purse, off to Savemart to get a refund! The clerk was a little grossed out and promptly gave me a refund and sincere apology. We had just enough to go to In 'N Out :/ Boo.
bastard.
Worm story B:

I have been thrilled that my huge tomato plants are finally putting on little green orbs! I look at them everyday, counting 1 or 2 more every few days-just waiting to celebrate a first red bite! Well yesterday James comes in the house and says "The first causality!" and presented a precious unripened tomato, 1/8 of it eaten by a stupid green idiot. he said he destroyed the guilty party and now I'm so nervous and double protective of my little crop. I plan to spend a good part of the afternoon searching for more destroyers and online, researching worm poisons.

defenseless babes

you will not win!

2 comments:

  1. Oh so sad Sarah! I just posted that I have somehow hidden my tomatoes from these awful destroyers. My mom, however, has not been so lucky and lost nearly a whole plant. Be vigilant and get those buggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I don't have any real tips, but this is what we did, which maybe helped, maybe not. I might have just had a lucky year. Anyway, we planted marigolds between and around our tomato plants, which are supposed to keep back annoying pests. We put our tomatoes in raised beds, which may have helped, and we also sprayed consistently around the tomatoes. Also, I would pick them as soon as I could, so they tasty ripe ones didn't stay on too long, tempting any nearby bug.

    ReplyDelete